If you’re still marketing your message the same way you always have, chances are good you’re missing out on motivating top potential customers, the Millennials. This is true even if you are taking advantage of new social media forms of communication. You need to make sure you are using them in a way that aligns with how Millennials think and behave.
The young adult generation born between 1980 and 2000, Millennials are rapidly increasing their spendable income. Along with Gen-Xers, they are the future – and they need to be communicated with in a way that resonates well with them.
A marketing message that speaks to the older generation is going to come off tired and boring to Millennials. That said, some marketing truths are still solid. These truths include telling a compelling story and offering an appealing, honest and humorous take on your product or service. Allow me to offer up 6 quick things to think about before planning your next online marketing campaign…
6 Things To Consider Before Spending Your Next Marketing Dollar
- Boredom is the kiss of death. Millennials thrive on edgy.
- They are multi-taskers, used to balancing many activities. They look for flexibility in hours, products and usage.
- Millennials crave individuality and identity. They want to be heard and understood. When you provide a micro-narratives (small unique stories that rely on human experience) rather than meta-narratives (generalizations), you picque their interest.
- They research, absorb and analyze new information far more quickly than Boomers.
- They love humor in unexpected places (including at your expense).
- They want to give back and will seek out organizations that do the same.
That’s asking a lot of your marketing. But the good news is that in today’s market, you can put smaller, more individualized marketing programs together in a variety of different places to target the Millennial market. That’s where we come into the picture.
Focal Point Understands Millennial Marketing
At Focal Point, we know Millennials will research the organizations that interest them. We can help you build a solid online presence in a variety of mediums. We’ll make sure you are found in the right places with the right message.
Once you’re found, you will need to be memorable. So, we’ll help create a brand identity that will look good on small screens like cell phones and large screens like High def TV in interesting colors that say something subtle or brash about what you are all about. (Tall order, we know.)
We also consider using humor because it works so well with the Millennial crowd. That is, provided it is self-effacing, or sly, or edgy or pokes fun at something they can relate to.
Lastly, we’ll show you how to talk about your flexibility in a way that is approachable. And share what you’re doing in the community, too. Millennials are not as selfish as advertised. They get that giving back thing. Big time.
Start Marketing To The Millenials Now
If you are getting the idea that Millennials are pretty cool consumers, we couldn’t be more pleased. Now, let’s get this passionate, creative and edgy conversation started!