November 28, 2017
Marketing, Website Design
Not only can this be a cost-effective use of good creative work, but it can also help increase traffic to your site. By embedding the video directly to your site – such as on a landing page – you can increase search, keep visitors on your site longer, and increase repeat visits.
In fact, studies show that practically nothing beats the SEO benefits of landing page video right on your domain:
- Search results found via a video have a 41% higher click-through rate than text alone and 30% higher than still images
- According to a recent comScore study, “Visitors who view a video stay on average two minutes longer and are 64% more likely to purchase than other site visitors.”
- Bingo! Combine high dwell time (staying on the page) with low bounce rates (see below), and you’ll have an enviable SERP — and an increased conversion rate.
That’s because videos tend to make your pages sticky. In other words, they help people pay attention to your site longer. They also tend to remember more about your product after watching.
The average online attention span is less than eight seconds. When visitors click onto your site and then lose interest and click away without moving to another page, you get a high bounce rate.
And that hurts your site’s SERP ranking.
Simply put, a compelling video on your web or blog site is a great way to make people stay. With that in mind, here are some best practices for adding video to your website from the team at FocalPoint:
- Don’t let your video host monopolize your traffic. Embed video directly to your site. We can show you how.
- Entice your readers into clicking the video with an engaging preview. Just give them a taste of what is coming up.
- Use accurate video titles. Don’t deceive your potential viewer.
- Add text where appropriate to highlight key points
- Where to place the video is also critical. You want to imbed your video “above the fold,” meaning the imaginary line where users have to scroll to see additional content.
Keep it short and sweet
In a world where even thoughtful articles get skimmed, videos can be a terrific way to communicate effectively. So, besides being enjoyable to watch, informative, and relatable, they should also be short and to the point. You might also consider adding closed captioning for those who watch videos with their sound off.
So yes, quality video marketing will improve the way you approach SEO to your website. That alone is worth more than all the search engine hacks, tips, and secrets you can dig up.