1 Big Thing Videos Are Missing & How YouTube Cards Will Help
Why Are So Many Video Productions Missing This 1 BIG Thing?
I have been on a bit of a video marketing kick lately. Being a full service digital marketing agency that provides video production in Indianapolis and surrounding areas, it seems only natural with all of the emphasis on video in social lately that I’d have some thoughts to share. Yet, with all of the advancements in technology and new ways to reach people through video, it always seems there’s one BIG thing that comes up missing time and time again.
So, what is the one thing – a call to action (CTA). Better yet, an effective call to action. So often the ball gets dropped when it comes to this highly important piece of the video. Ok, I’m a website visitor and I just watched your video…now what do you want me to do? This question must be answered and it must be really clear. I’ve seen so many YouTube and website videos that just end with a company logo, some credits, or even worse…they just end! It doesn’t matter how many people watch a video, if they have no idea what to do next the whole point is lost.
There are some amazing videos out there that just leave something to be desired when it comes to the call to action. Even videos that nail the 5 key factors for an effective video production I discussed here, but miss the mark with a when it comes to a CTA. So why does this happen? I think the simple answer is that it just gets overlooked. In the process of planning every other element of the video production, the last thought (if a thought at all) is the CTA. Often times the video production company just get engrained in what they’re doing, getting the right shots, adding the right music, etc. and they leave the CTA up to the client. This needs to change if your video marketing efforts are going to be effective.
Create a video with an effective call to action – Contact us here!
Introducing YouTube Cards
Yes, all of this video production call to action talk was leading up to something. Something that I think is a big deal for anyone involved in video marketing. YouTube recently introduced its YouTube Cards feature in the video editor and this could be a game changer.
Why are YouTube Cards a Big Deal?
YouTube cards are a big deal because they are easy to setup, look way better than annotations and will perform better on mobile. This will make it easier for marketers and video production companies to create clickable graphics that appear at just the right time to drive visitors, leads and sales from YouTube videos.
What are the Types of YouTube Cards?
- Merchandise (like Google Play and iTunes)
- Fundraising (think Kickstarter)
- Associated Website link back to your company website
- Fan Funding
How To Set Up YouTube Cards
- Go to YouTube Video Manager, and click on the “Edit” button. Or click on the down arrow next to the button.
- Click on “Cards” in the top navigation bar, then click on “Add Card.”
- Use the video timeline to get to the point in the video where you’d like to add a card. This is where the teaser/title text will cue in the upper right corner of the video for five seconds, then revert to just an “i” icon in the same position. (Note – you cannot change the amount of time the card displays)
- Click a blue button on the right called “Add Card” and it opens up a creation window.
- Select the card type you want to add.
- The card can be customized with your own image, text and URL.
- More cards can be created within the same video if you’d like to do so.
- Click “Create Card.”
2 Quick Tips for Using YouTube Cards
Keep the Text Short & Sweet
Remember, many people will be watching this video on a phone and space is limited in the YouTube card. Be sure to preview it multiple times to see how your text displays. Rely on the video itself to do the explaining and the YouTube Card text to be action oriented and to the point.
Timing is Everything
Unlike annotations, you cannot display YouTube cards throughout the entire video and each card you place in the video production will display for 5 seconds. While you can place multiple cards in the video, they need to be spaced out. Think about the points in the video where it makes sense for there to be a call to action rather than hammering the viewers over and over.
Ready to discuss how YouTube Cards fit in your video marketing strategy? Contact me here!